Water Treatment Questions


What does pH mean, and how does it affect my water?

pH is a measurement of the acidity of your water. The lower the pH, the more acidic your water; the higher, the more alkaline.

The pH of water should be 7 to be neutral. Usually it will be more than 7 indicating that it is slightly alkaline. If the pH is lower it indicates that the water is acidic in nature. The pH of water is altered due to many factors like acidic rain, soil runoff, mineral leaching, and decomposing.

Very acidic water can cause corrosion in pipes and many water treatment systems need a pH level that is in the normal range in order to have maximum effectiveness.

We can treat pH imbalances with either a neutralizer or an additive pump, depending on the need.

 
What’s the difference between ground water and surface water? Is one safer than the other?

Water is generally classified into two groups: Surface Water and Ground Water.

Surface water is just what the name implies: it is water found in a river, lake or a superficial cavity of some kind, including dug wells. Surface water is exposed to many different contaminants, such as animal wastes, pesticides, insecticides, industrial wastes, algae and many other organic materials. Even surface water found in a pristine mountain stream possibly contains giardia or coliform bacteria from the feces of wild animals, and should be boiled or disinfected by some means prior to using it. Many residents of Vancouver Island have dug wells that they’ve been using without incident, but as our area becomes denser in populations, the risk of contamination grows. We can treat ground water with an ultra-violet filter that uses light to kill off harmful bacteria.


Ground Water is that which is trapped beneath the ground. Rain that soaks into the ground, rivers that disappear beneath the earth, melting snow are but a few of the sources that recharge the supply of underground water. Because of the many sources of recharge, ground water may contain any or all of the contaminants found in surface water as well as the dissolved minerals it picks up during its long stay underground. Waters that contains dissolved minerals, such as calcium and magnesium above certain levels are considered "hard water".

 
My water smells and tastes funny. What’s wrong with it?

Well, that depends on how it tastes and smells. If it smells like a swimming pool, chances are your municipal system is using a lot of chlorine. You may want to remove the chlorine residue from your water for a variety of reasons--not only the smell, but also because there is some evidence this residue is carcinogenic. We can provide you with a fairly inexpensive filter that will solve this problem.


If your water smells like rotten eggs, you’ve got a sulphur problem. We can provide you with a filter that can remove this odour from your whole house, or a designated tap or taps within the home. Bacteria can make your water smell, and it’s dangerous to ingest as well. If this is a possibility, we’ll test for bacteria and provide you with an ultra-violet sterilizer in that case.


If your water has a metallic taste, you may have an iron problem. This can also be seen as yellow to dark brown staining on clothes and fixtures. We have quality iron filters that will clear up this problem very effectively.

 
<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 Next > End >>